Monday, May 9

the outer fringe


This is an excerpt from a letter I wrote to Hope Moms today, and wanted to share with all of you who had prayed for my Mother's Day:

Earlier last week I had asked the Lord for something unique for Mother's Day, something only He could give. Yesterday morning I was praying for a God-perspective, because mine looked bleak and discouraging, and I was definitely on the fast track to an embittered Mother's Day. 


Last night I believe He answered both requests with an amazing lightning storm. I live in south Texas, and we rarely get lightning - we rarely get rain, too. As I watched the clouds light up like strobes, calling back and forth to one another the glories of God, I was reminded of two things:

1. He is so much bigger than us. And yet He still cares for our hearts, the dailyness of our lives, and the moments that shatter us. Just as He is incomprehensible in power, His faithfulness and love toward us is also unfathomable. 

2. He continues His work whether I am aware of it or not. After watching the storm for half an hour or so, I decided to go to bed. And the lightning continued to flash, long after I had fallen asleep. "He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps." (Psalm 121:4) He never ceases to work, to heal, to proclaim truth, to remind us of the hope He offers in Christ. It's not in His character to forget us. It is, however, in mine.

"And these are but the outer fringe of His works; how faint the whisper we hear of Him!" Job 26:14



1 comment:

  1. Hmm. "And yet He still cares for our hearts, the dailyness of our lives, and the moments that shatter us." This truth was beautiful to me as I read it.

    ReplyDelete