Friday, November 2

responsibility and refined sugar

"So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin." James 4:17

About 10 years or so ago this verse really hit home in a ridiculous way.
And I mean really ridiculous, and totally out of context from the scripture. But I was convicted that if I knew it was good to pick up trash that I see on the ground/side of the road/stores/malls, etc, and not leave it for someone else to do... and yet chose to leave it- for ME it was sin. Because I knew that it would be good to do so. Same goes for hanging up clothes back on a hanger after I tried them on. It would be good for me to do so - save someone else the work - so for me, it became sin. 

And maybe that seems really silly. Believe me, I thought it was silly. I would pass trash on the ground and immediately begin a mental argument with myself: "Erin, you passed that trash. Now someone else has to clean it up. Why did you pass it? You know it's good for you to pick it up. Yes, you'll look like an idiot by turning around and walking 10 yards back just to pick up a gum wrapper... but wouldn't you rather look like an idiot than have this on your conscience all day?" And many times (not all) I turned back, cleared my conscience before the Lord, and looked like an idiot while picking up wrappers.

So for some reason, these two random things - trash and clothes - have brought me back to this verse over and over. In many ways, my lazy self has not wanted to know what is "good", lest I become responsible for it. 

Why am I sharing this, you wonder? This past week has sent me on a knowledge hunt. I've been reading and researching about real food and organic living: coconut oil vs. vegetable oils, raw milk and it's benefits, and why the estrogen that my plastic containers leech into my food is bad for me (and my son, whom I do not want to have extra estrogen.) 

And the reason why some of this is annoying to me, is that now that I know I should not use a microwave or eat grains that aren't soaked, fermented or sprouted  - well, now I know what's good. And FOR ME, it is sin not to do so to the best of my ability. 

So this month I'm joining a few of my camp friends in a "No Sugar November". I'm also going to cut out refined flour from our diet, and Blair and I just agreed that using our microwave is over and done with. I've got a sourdough starter brewing on my countertop, next week I'll join in a local group that provides raw milk, and I plan on consuming as much saturated fats as possible.

So if you have any ideas, recipes, or tips on how to do this, I (think) I'd love to hear them! :)



5 comments:

  1. This is something I'm struggling with, in a different way. I have learned many of these things and believe them, YET God now has us in a place where we can no longer buy organic or raw milk (or some other things). It is so very difficult for me to know these health facts, yet not be able to do them.

    It's putting me in a weird place of trusting God.

    I think the best way to continue to NOT use the microwave is to get it out of the house. I can't do this in our rental, but I did unplug it, so no one can easily use it.

    I'm excited for your journey! (and the fact that Cai gets such a wonderful upbringing in this area)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's incredibly daunting, and I really do feel a little overwhelmed by how much there is out there that isn't healthy for us!

      But, as post script for my post:

      I hope I made it clear that I don't think eating non-organically is sinful- I don't! And I don't think refined flours/sugars or plastics or anything else are evil; I just don't believe they're the best for my family. So in effort to keep in good conscience with that I believe is better, I will attempt to be healthier as I prepare food in my own home.

      I also plan to indulge in sugary goodness liberally next week for my birthday, and over Thanksgiving. :) So it's not a complete month without it... but hey. I believe it's the effort that counts!

      Delete
  2. Erin--I'm so glad for you! I've been microwave-free since I moved into this small apartment (18 months ago) and I don't miss it. Sure, it means planning a bit better (make sure to take the meat out of the freezer the night before!) but it's so worth it to know that it's the safer, healthier way to do it. And if you think about it, what foods are good for you that require a microwave? None! Only packaged, processed, unhealthy foods can be "nuked" for convenience. I applaud your efforts! Also, there is NOTHING like raw milk--I love my bi-weekly pickup :) And it makes the BEST mozzarella! I'd love to know how your sourdough comes out--I can't ever get it to rise properly.
    If you're looking for some good books about this subject, may I please recommend: Animal Vegetable Miracle, Barbra Kingsolver; anything Michael Pollan's written, and The Town that Food Saved by Ben Hewitt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, this is SO CRAZY that you just blogged about this. Two months ago, we did ALL of this too. And, believe me, my girls literally thought I was crazy. Carlie cried the first morning I wouldn't let her microwave her oatmeal. But, now, they really get it and we are all loving our new life of sprouted grains and raw milk and heating our food "the old fashioned way". And, I'm with you. I don't know why God brought this to my attention when He did, but I absolutely KNOW that it was from Him and that He expected me to obey. I keep thanking Him for the healthiness He just required of us...especially knowing this will be a new way of life for my CHILDREN. I'm SO thankful that you wrote this so I can know for sure that we ARE soul sisters and we can be crazy together. :) LOVE YOU. Now we have to add this to the list to talk about next Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had sugar or processed foods since July and I've lost 47 pounds. I haven't switched to raw milk or coconut oil yet, but it's amazing how fast the weight came off... and with no exercise!!! I don't think I can give up the microwave, though!

    ReplyDelete